A Florida title transfer is needed when a vehicle currently titled in Florida changes/transfers ownership to a different Florida owner.
Download a package of instructions, all necessary forms, and a checklist of documentation needed.
- Florida Title Transfer Packet
- Fast Title Information Packet
- Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin Packet
The following documentation must be provided:
- The Florida certificate of title with the "transfer of title by seller" section completed.
- A completed HSMV 82040 Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration. Please note that often the following sections of this form are left blank, resulting in an application that can not be processed.
Please make sure the following items are complete:
- Section 1: Owner/Applicant Information. The vehicle owner’s Florida driver license number is required. If the vehicle is to be titled in a business name, please include the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEID).
- Section 2: Vehicle, Mobile Home, or vessel description section.
- Section 6: Odometer Declaration
- Section 12: Application Attestment and Signatures
- A copy of one of the following proofs of identification:
- A Florida driver license or identification card with photo
- An out-of-state driver license or identification card with photo
- A US passport
- A Canadian driver license, identification card or passport
- A driver license or identification card from any U.S. territory
- An out-of-country passport
Please note that while a copy of a Florida driver license or identification card IS NOT required to be submitted, it makes the process simpler. Find out more information about obtaining a Florida driver license.
- Proof of Florida insurance (a Florida insurance card, policy, or binder), or completed HSMV 83330 Florida Insurance Affidavit.
- Bill of sale. Evidence that the sales tax on the vehicle has been paid is necessary. Click here for a Bill of Sale Form.
- As required by Chapter 212 of the Florida Statutes, sales tax in Florida is 6% on the balance of the purchase price, less trade in, if any.
- Some transactions such as gifts, trade down or even trade, court order in divorce proceedings, inheritance, transfer to/from spouse, change of name only, etc., may be exempt from sales tax.
- If the motor vehicle or mobile home was purchased and used less than 6 months in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the 6% sales or use tax, plus any local discretionary sales surtax is required to be paid before title and registration can be issued by the department. However, a credit may be allowed for a like tax paid in another state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, against the amount of Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax.
- The registrant's county of residence determines whether an additional local discretionary sales surtax is collected. For additional information view the Department of Revenue’s Discretionary Sales Surtax Information.
Fast Title Service
For an extra cost, fast title service is available at all of our offices, except for the Lake Mary Administration location. If all documentation is correct (see the complete list of necessary documentation above), a certificate of title is produced in the office and is available upon conclusion of the transaction.